Thursday, December 2, 2010
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
- Email your photo in JPEG format to email@example.com, and explain in not more than 50 words its significance. Photo should be less than 2MB in size.
- Include your full name, NRIC number, email and contact number (in SG)
- Send entries by 5th December, 2010.
Prizes: 2 Samsung NX100 cameras to be won!
Duration: 23 Nov – 5 Dec 2010
Monday, November 29, 2010
- The concubine of Shanghai - Hong Ying
- The river of lost footsteps. A personal history of Burma- Thant Myint - U
- The immortals - Amit Chaudhuri
- The opium clerk - Kunal Basu
- Tiger Hills - Sarita Mandanna
- The hungry tide - Amitav Ghosh
- The gentle lion - Takashi Yanase
- Little daughter of the snow - Arthur Ransome
- Little donkey's wish - Udo Weigelt
- Copy & color in
- Drawing fantasy art
Sunday, November 28, 2010
Time passes so quickly when you have young children but that's really no excuse for not posting in the blog. I have seen mothers with newborns who blog regularly and so what excuse do I have with four and five year olds?
From now on I have pledged to myself to blog regularly.It can be a short post or even a video but it would be great if all of us can keep writing and interacting with our readers and fellow bloggers.
Friday, November 26, 2010
and I connect with bloggers at BlogAdda.com
Monday, November 22, 2010
It is a very basic and simple lamp to make. Aadu helped with the cutting and pasting.
The instruction can be found here on Balagokulam
We used up some 7 sheets of card paper that we had at home. Glue, Stapler, and some glittering sticky tape is all that you need to make this lamp.
This is the first year that Father-son did something together for Diwali. And I am proudly going to submit it to Shruti's November Artsy Craftsy Challenge.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Monday, May 17, 2010
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Über–Geeky...you have an intellectual curiosity about technology. You pay attention to new developments and trends. Also, you think being called "über–geeky" is a compliment.
1. Have you Googled yourself?
You answered correctly. The answer is: Yes.
2. What is a tweet?
You answered correctly. The answer is: A post on Twitter.
3. If you wanted to create an "avatar" to meet and interact with others in a completely virtual world, which of the following social networks would you join?
Sorry, you answered incorrectly. The answer is: Second Life.
4. What does the acronym ROFL stand for?
You answered correctly. The answer is: Rolling on the Floor Laughing.
5. If you intend to stream large video files from the Internet, would you want a computer with more or less RAM?
You answered correctly. The answer is: More.
6. Which of the following could be installed on your computer with malicious intent?
You answered correctly. The answer is: A Trojan horse.
7. Who is credited as the inventor of the World Wide Web?
You answered correctly. The answer is: Timothy Berners-Lee.
8. Which major technology company was recently granted the right to sell power like a utility provider?
You answered correctly. The answer is: Google.
9. What means of high-tech transportation did famous billionaire Richard Branson recently unveil?
You answered correctly. The answer is: Deep-sea submarine.
10. True or false: The World Wide Web is the same thing as the Internet.
Sorry, you answered incorrectly. The answer is: False.
Friday, March 5, 2010
Lunch-I decided to make a one-dish lunch….so that I save on time. I made Veg-pulao with carrots, French beans and green peas. It’s an all time favorite in our home. I left the boondi-raita and papads for later; anyways they don’t take more than 5 minutes to put together.
Rushed in to check what I was going to wear and realized that it needed ironing…..grrrrrrrrrrrrr…..I ironed the dress with some extra energy thanks to the anger brewing inside my head for not doing enough preparations earlier.
Off to Y's home...and the baby is ohhhhhhhhh soooooooo cute and after I saw her I realised how much my own baby had grown !! When I got to speak to Amol; he said the said that 'good atleast now you will feel that you have done enough with Aadu' !!
As though that is going to stop me from being the fussy mom !!
After lunching and playing and generally talking .... put Aadu to sleep and then relaxed a bit; then evening there was sweeping plus there were a mountain of clothes to be folded. Still have not started the ironing routine....I think I'll just offload that part to the laundry downstairs....but he charges 1 RM or so for each piece !! But will soon have to think of something coz the to-be-ironed shelf is overflowing !!
Son had some homework so did that....
vessels were waiting to be washed....but i just left them there...will see tomorrow morning.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
I paid some bills - made good use of the Internet while it was working !! These days the net is giving me a lot of grief...it is a broadband connection but it works like a net-with-tortoise-pace !!
Just managed to clear out the clothes, toys in the rooms and sweep the house. Put Aadu's clothes in the machine; washed 3 t-shirts by hand; and realised how long it had been since the last time I did that!!
Went to pick up son and then did the usual stuff with him....basically lunching and listening to some school related banter...and then put him to sleep.
Evening was relaxed with just a few vessels to clean. Dinner was also an easy affair.
Ended the day with 'Princess Diary 2' ....not the full movie but just the first 30 minutes.
Lets see how day-3 goes..am a little worked up about tomorrow as I have to go to a friends house in the morning (she had a baby daughter & I was going to see the little baby). Should finish lunch making etc before 10 AM !!
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
In the evening the beautiful ladies of the condo got together for a superb talk-over-tea meet; and the food was aaa-haaa !! Mouthwatering and pure yummmmmm.
What's a Holi-party without any colors right??? So yessssssss there was plenty of color and we had such fun smearing color on one another !! The children also joined in and had their share of fun and running around.
It was Aadu's first time with colors on Holi; prior to this I would just use the haldi-kumkum as colors to let him the know the significance of color in the celebration of Holi.
Mid way through the play I asked him 'Aadu are you having fun?' He answered in affirmative; but when he saw more color on his friends faces he asked me to take him home for a bath !!! Remember this is the kid who can't stand a speck of dust on him or around him.
Went home gave him a shower; all the color came running down....then was my turn but I remembered there were door-mats to be rinsed and put to dry. So brush in hand; shower full on; I scrubbed the mats as clean as I could and as much as my strain-challenged arm muscles would allow. Quick shower and then slomppppppppp onto bed !!! Gosh I was tired........
Did not make dinner....Aadu wanted to eat Idli; so Papa was going to pack dinner for all. What a savior that was....I was really too tired to make anything.
Even then...could not finish dinner in good cheer; went to sleep zzzzzzzzzz
Monday, March 1, 2010
Reason being - the maid will no longer come for a month. She's taken medical leave !!
It feels good to see the result of your toil and the best part was that my son upon returning from school said that the house looked clean and asked me 'Mumma who clean it?' I proudly said 'Mumma did it' and he came and gave me a hug.
My heart was the size of a watermelon ...full of pride and full of love for my little boy.
I plan to keep the home maid-free till I go back to my home town. This arrangement will in all likelihood help me lose some weight which has been a cause for concern to all family members.
The husband will have to help me out; which i'm sure he will. He's one of the rare guys who do more than their share but still have a smile to share....love him to bits.
Now that I am relaxing the hard work endured in the morning hours seem only fruitful; but believe me when it was morning; I was rushing around and trying to do as much as I could before I went to pick up the son from school. I thought of myself as a mad-woman !! dashing in and out of rooms, broom, mop, duster in hand !!
Maybe because it was the first day and that too after a long weekend there was too much to be cleaned....and hopefully tomorrow won't be so mad.
And perhaps I can make that much awaited phone call to my friend down south.....tring tring....Malina...it's me....
Day-1 without maid.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Sunday, February 14, 2010
ye ishq nibha dena tum
guzarish ye karte hai
ek naam tumhara le kar
hum jeete hain marte hain
ye ishq nibha dena tum
guzarish ye karte hai
tum khush ho to
hum bhi yoon khush rehte hain
tum rootho to
hum khud se roothe rehte hain
ye jaan lo bus tum se hi
hum apni khabar rakhte hain
tum bhool na jaana is ko
guzarish ye karte hain
jitna bhi hum
tum ko chaahe kam lagta hai
ye ishq isliye hi to
pal pal badhta hai
tum se he is jeevan ka
hum saara bharam rakhte hain
tum tod na dena is ko
guzarish ye karte hain
Wish you a very happy love filled Valentine's Day !! So glad, happy, thankful to have you in my life to love and cherish.
Love you more n more with each passing day !!
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Friday, February 5, 2010
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
- Buy local goods - the thing may be made by a local company, but just check for the 'Made In..' tag. If that says the name of the country you reside in. That is buying local goods.
- Buying locally grown fruits, vegetables - I see the divide between local produce and foreign, procured produce very clearly in our super markets especially Village Grocer in Bangsar. There a locally produced pack of Strawberries costs around 6 RM whereas the same quantity of imported Strawberries costs more than twice !! Buying locally grown produce reduces the travel-transport costs of the goods, thus reducing the amount of fuel that was used up.
- Support local industry - buying clothes, shoes, handbags, school bags, books, handicrafts etc from the local community or city. This ensures employment of the local communities and stops a large number of them from migrating to the cities to get employed in large corporations and living in pitiful conditions.
- Point of purchase decision - when picking up an item think very carefully - is this item a NEED or a WANT. A 'Need' is something that satisfies your basic requirements of living like food, clothing etc; whereas a 'Want' is something that feels good to have, and is something that you can like without.
- Recyclability of the item - when buying cutlery for a picnic, buy paper plates rather than plastic ones, buy re-usable items like cloth-made shopping bags. Never get your food packed in a restaurant in Styrofoam items, carry your own metal-containers or then ask the hotel to pack in paper-based container.
Saturday, January 30, 2010
Friday, January 29, 2010
Monday, January 18, 2010
Friday, January 8, 2010
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday said that Non-Resident Indians may soon vote in the elections and that the process may start as early as the next general elections.
Inaugurating the eighth edition of the Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas, Dr Singh said: "I recognise the legitimate desire of Indians living abroad to exercise their franchise and to have a say in who governs India. We are working on this issue and I sincerely hope that they will get a chance to vote by the time of the next regular general elections."
"In fact, I would go a step further and ask why more overseas Indians should not return home to join politics and public life as they are increasingly doing in business and academia," he added
"It gives me very great pleasure to join you at the inauguration of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2010. Every year, on this day we celebrate and honour the contribution of the overseas Indians is making for the development of their spiritual and ancestral home. We are immensely proud of the achievements of our Diaspora."
"Your achievements have made a great contribution in changing the image of India to the world at large. Let me therefore join Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs and the Chief Minister of Delhi to welcome you to New Delhi and wish you a very happy New Year," he added.
Article Courtesy: Rediff.com