Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Who am I meant to be?

This quiz is available on Oprah.com, and I found it to be really very useful and insightful.

I took this quiz with a hope to pin point in which direction my interests (as of now) lie, what areas I should concentrate on. And after reading the results I am pretty happy with them and know what I should be doing....well sort of...we're never too sure are we?

My Results:

YOU ARE STRIVING TO BE CREATIVE


You are an artist: You came out of the womb with a paintbrush in your hand. Or maybe it was a flute or a castanet or a fountain pen to go with your poet's imagination. The point is, you're an original, and you know it. Even if you don't have a singular gift, you're drawn to the arts—anything creative, for that matter—and you have a unique way of looking at the world. Your need for depth and authenticity in relationships can lead to both great joy and profound sorrow, depending on whether others reciprocate. You don't care so much about adapting to group or societal expectations; your independence and sharp intuition propel you on your own path.

What to watch out for: When fear of conformity overrides your creativity, you can assume the role of "outsider" or "orphan" and end up feeling alienated. You may even go so far as refusing to vote or pay taxes. This lone-wolf stance might be a defense against feeling vulnerable. Try to be aware that blaming others for your banishment, or pushing away those who want to get close, only makes things worse. Also, dramatizing your emotions can interfere with your creativity.

Looking ahead: As long as you genuinely express yourself, you feel like the person you were meant to be. How you do it is irrelevant. A chef or architect can be as much of an artist as a painter or sculptor. Many advertising and public relations executives are also highly imaginative. Beyond work, there are opportunities everywhere you look to coax out your inner artist: Design your own jewelry line, create an innovative blog, dream up a comic strip. Relationships are another avenue for self-expression.

My overall scores

Many people have two or three strong striving styles, and they can all be important in leading you to the person you are meant to be. If you have a few "highest" scores, read each matching description, and see what rings most true.

Striving to help: 16

Striving to be recognized: 11
Striving to be creative: 18
Striving to be spontaneous: 15
Striving to be knowledgeable: 15
Striving to be secure: 17
Striving to be in control: 17

You too can take this quiz and if like me you are in a place which you know is not constant, for example I am a stay at mom-full time and I know that soon I will be pursuing a career; but since motherhood happened to me my definition and parameters for a career have changed drastically, I look for something that will let me have flexible work hours, flexi holiday patterns where in I can take holidays when my son has his school holidays or during that time I can work from home...something that allows my son to be the center of my attention at all times. These are the years of his life in which he needs me the most, as time flies by he will be independent, will have a full time school and co-curricular activities to keep him busy.

If you wish to take this quiz, please click here.

No comments: